| Home |
| About Us |
| NATMAP |
| ALS/ACRES |
| NatMap in PNG |
| NatMap in Antarctica |
| Submissions |
| Contact Us |
| Events |
- All editions of the NATMAP News published by Natmap's Dandenong Office.
- From the mid 1950s, National Mapping had a consistent indexing system for its aerial photography, survey and mapping control, and terrain profiles. The system ensured that each survey station, aerial film or terrain profile was uniquely identified. Separate indexing systems also existed for height or vertical control and for all map publication and associated materials. This article provides some history and an explanation of National Mapping's indexing systems.
- A Review of Operations in the Division of National Mapping was undertaken in 1983. Part of the report documenting the review contained a brief history of National Mapping and its functions at that time. This history has been extracted and may be read via this link.
- Bibliography of the History of Australia's National Topographic Mapping Agencies by Dorothy Prescott, 2003.
- Training Notes for National Mapping Field Survey Staff were compiled by Reginald Arthur Ford, Senior Technical Officer, while he was the Training Officer for the Melbourne Office. After many years of field experience, Reg documented most of the Nat Map Melbourne's accepted field survey procedures and methodologies covered by these notes. As such this document represents the consistent standard provided to and expected from all involved in field survey work during the late 1960s and 1970s. These notes were never published but just photocopied as required. This web version was derived from the personal copies provided by a number of Natmappers and their cooperation is appreciated. While every effort has been made to ensure correct conversion, users may find minor inconsistencies in the text and tables.
- This paper describes and indicatively quantifies the divergence between Australian historical and today's geodetic datums. Furthermore, the outcome when using such historical mapping data in Web Mapping applications and such data's managemnment on the XNATMAP website, is indicated.
- Editions of the Commonwealth of Australia Gazette or Government Gazette can now be searched via this link. For each year from 1901 to 1973 a comprehensive annual index was produced and is also accessible from the above link. However, after December 1973 the Public Service section of the Gazette was released as a separate volume. From 1974 onwards these Public Service Gazettes have not been digitised. Thus ready online access to staffing information for 1974 onwards is not available. Also from 1975 onwards comprehensive annual indexing of Gazette entries for all years ceased and for some years only quarterly indexing was provided.
- Collected articles and papers about the USAF Southwest Pacific Survey, Project AF60-13 and its use of HIRAN.
A 25 minute (75MB download, MP4 file) 1961 USAF film on geodesy by Hiran can be viewed via this link. The film also has some interesting glimpses of various supporting technologies.